Monday, April 20, 2009

Learning to Crawl

Chatting with Craziantix over on Protag. He'd been away a while. He asked about TAS, and had anyone added yet to GodSeed Vector.

Right right...not chatting...though that's how leaving little notes for each other feels. Middle of workday was when I lifted my head, spit out the bit, gobbled my bread, saw his note. Yup, one of those work days.

TAS has been away doing that bread n'butter writing that pays the bills. That would've been simple enough to tell. Then I got to thinking about GodSeed, about Craziantix's being away some time, and perhaps needing some kind of summary. And so came the idea for ...a story summary so far.

He didn't need some rambling synopsis, I figured. TAS's tone, throughout his chapters, has that Saturday cinema serial feel. I've seen bits of a few of those glorious half-hour black-and-white adventures. Buck Rogers. Flash Gordon. Recalled their brilliantly concise prologues before every episode. And that iconic Star Wars prologue: that heart swelling overture, and that crawl starting almost all those grand adventures. That, I figured the best example for GodSeed, if I could emulate it.

For the rest of that work day, concise little possibilities to'd and fro'd in my head. Something I felt I needed to do, for exercise's sake, as well. Feeling some days like I'm a one-trick pony. I love describing in my writing. And exploring character. I probably scribble longer than the thing should be.

Well, then. Long story short: By day's end, posted my exercise. Chapter Sixteen, The Story So Far. Came out like a movie intermission. And it was fun!

No comments: