Monday, September 5, 2011

Digital Apocalypse...Day 5


Was eating my Labour Day breakfast. Also trying to polish the blog draft I've been picking at since Saturday. Doing all one-handed. So spooning away at my oats in milk. Being careful not to spill over the keyboard. One finger holding down SHIFT for capitalizing. One finger going for P for Probably. And [cuss cuss] Windows decided to activate StickyKeys!

Okay. Read the pop-up explanation. Yes, Thanks, much, really. Not in the final stages of a time sensitive project. CANCEL.

Didn't cancel.

Held down SHIFT again. Duplicating what I did. Explanatory pop-up returned. Careful didn't fix it and it was déjà vu all over again.

It was a blur after that. Trying to clear multiple documents The Machine wouldn't allow me to de-select. I surrendered to the moment, reasoned that reason wasn't much use before breakfast and should take one step back, yeah, that's good. Emotion obliterated evolution. And wonderfully, as it turned out. I had tapped into something powerful, perhaps always there, in our 21st Century collective human soul, waiting in a dark corner. Perhaps I used the Force. Or perhaps one of my opposable thumbs tapped the correct canceling key in the correct sequence.

---

Now Saturday's blog draft feels...too late. It was timely at the time. I'll just post the nice bits then and be done with it. Maybe. It was intended, perhaps, to begin a series of posts...My Life Without Cable TV, A Survivor's Diary, something like that. Humorous. Exploratory. Possibly even daily. Just imagine all the writing exercise I might benefit from from posting a thing DAILY.

Anyway. Apart from the time used up by my job, I'm fully expecting to discover scads of other-time now for actually writing, now that I've said No to cable tv. Said No to all that stuff I'd never watch. It was the right time, too. Am planning to experiment some, discover, and re-discover information options in the age after free teevee. Am sayin' it's free when you can pull it out of the air with a coat hanger. Can't do that any longer, unless a wave of the hand can transform the old electronic fireplace, from NTSC to ATSC. The Great Analogue Cut-Off has swept Canada, you see. And the Digital Apocalypse is banging at our doors. They'd like to sell you DTV.

Actually. That, above, is better than the draft. 'Figures. Okay, done.

'Wonder what's on the radio?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hurrah for no cable! the only time i ever watch TV is when i'm home in Vic over the summer, and even then all i watch is Food Network and a bit of Much Music. there's more than enough online and in DVD form these days, i like my content on demand, hah.

also: please define "bityrot." Google wants me to type it into the box.

Burndtree said...

Yummm, Food Network. Will go to their website next.
---
Have DVDs enough to run my own movie house :)
--
'bityrot'
Inflammatory necrosis of skin, soft tissues, circulatory system. Common result of bite by itty-bitty zombie (Derived from 'itsy-bitsy spider'). Treatment: Prompt injection of 30 grams Lead at 400 feet per second into cranial cavity.
---
Google made yours...'heded'. Any ideas?