Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Canada Line Doesn't Stop Here


"Stop, please. I work here. Quite a number of us, actually. Customs brokers. Freight forwarders. Cargo handlers. All the business of the wide world passes through these terminals. Canadian exports. Hawaiian mango sliced in your dessert.

"There's...NO stop...not here, not any longer? But...that yellow kiosk, down there, the 100 from Marpole stopped there, for decades. Before this advancement in mass rapid transit. Even with that stupid Fare Zone crossing, and $3.75 one-way, it was just ten minutes to this stop, and work, riding the 100, south from Marpole, across the Arthur Laing, across the Fare Zone line drawn in the river, and west.

"Sweeping changes coming in September — really? Such as? Does it include this YVR Add-fare I've been hearing of? Sounds odd, that, as if the YVR track is...some kind of add-on, and couldn't be in anyone's daily commute. It would make it $12 a day, from Marpole, where the planes take-off past our windows.

"I see. My 100 no longer will brave the storms of autumn and winter south and west of the river. I'll have to get to my hole in the hedge earlier. Catch the 10...eastbound. Oh. Five minutes, east. Then catch this...Line, ten minutes, south and west.

"Two stations bracket these cargo terminals. I can de-train at the station a half-mile short. Only that's open ground, and a foul long slog in the storms of autumn and winter. I might just ride the train past, I suppose. Eye the cargo buildings in passing. And walk the half-mile down from YVR. Buildings along that stretch should offer some shelter during the gales.

"Actually, I'm feeling a bit stunned. Just now. I'd prefer not hearing about the YVR Add-fare, for the moment. Where'd I stow my foul-weather gear, anyway? Gonna haveta dress like Amundsen striking for the Pole, this winter.

No comments: