Friday, October 2, 2009

Oh yeah...To Do List

Once upon a time, when time was a thing I couldn’t catch if I swung the biggest butterfly net imaginable, I read some how-to…might’ve been How To Get Control of Your Time and Your Life. Yeah, thinking about it, that was the book. By Alan Lakein. Anyway. One useful and kinda obvious gem from it, thinking about that: To Do Lists. And I did find doing To Do Lists useful: for organizing, and prioritizing, right’right, the stuff whizzing about through my head. Wasn’t enough simply to do a To Do list: it’s only a mess of chores to do, until it’s prioritized…Do this first, then this, this, and so on. And maybe forget doing the ‘so on’, because the ‘so on’ is so low on the list.

Suddenly it’s gotten so busy…in this economic downturn, funny, eh?...and I’ve been feeling exhausted, and frustrated I can’t do more. Do more of my stuff. My projects. And I’ve just remembered this little coping device I used, when last I needed it – but forgot about until now.

So. Did my To Do list this morning. Scribbled it on some paper slip. Slipped it in my back pocket. Referred to it. Added to it. Subtracted from it through my day, as I did each, or enough of each. That was another bit of advice, I recall now: even doing some of a thing is better than doing nothing.

That bit of advice, and another…about trying to be flexible about everything. As I’m trying now. The dayjob beckons again. In overtime. Gotta go. I’ll be sure and do my stretching exercises, tho.

No comments: