Friday, November 12, 2010

NaNo Day 12: Oop'sied Word Count

Forgot I had another word file I'd been NaNo'ing in. To clarify, there are a pack of these word files in my NaNo folder. Multiple files. Figured it safer to have several, rather than just everything in one file. The Not Putting Everything in One basket precaution. Makes sense, doesn't it? Computers, and e-files, aren't 100% foolproof. Nor am I. What if I oop'sied, deleted my Everything in One basket NaNo file, hmmm? A bit of a disaster, that. And noisy, most probably: I'd be wailing. Oh'yes. Wailing.

Anyway. That's not my way. Each day I write in a new word file. It makes it easy finding content, too. I'll ask myself, "Self, that bit about the brain monkeys. Did make a cute one-liner. It could make a story." Other-Self replies, "I know the bit. Jotted Nov 11. Got it." Just an example.

Back to my forgetfulness. Have these daily NaNo files. I total up the word counts from them. I missed one last night. Because I figured it more important to write than go online and update my NaNo word count total, I hadn't updated the total in a couple days. I forgot to add word counts from TWO days, only added the current one.

Did use the holiday well. Wrote steadily from Nov 10 evening through all Remembrance Day. 5146 words. I'm feeling kinda gleeful about that: I've never had a 5000-word writin' session.

---

Just remembered another safeguard I should prob'ly do soon. Upload all so far written in an email to myself. An online back-up, let's call that.

No comments: