Tuesday, November 9, 2010

NaNo Day 9: Today Ate a Gnu I Knew...Not Really, but It's a Title

NaNo's progressing. It's surprising me, really. I knew I hadn't a chance if I started with anything less than basic outline and characters' sketches. Without those, it'd be like striking off on a 50,000 word journey with a song in my heart and no map. Can we picture such as me, novice NaNo adventurer, um, soon lost? And then, wild-eyed and grasping at mirages, cobbling together any last hope? Cobbling say — this NaNo novice's diary, chronicling for the ages my hopeless expedition through the NaNo wilds.

Hmm. Sounds like that might've been fun, too. But, no, I won't have to play with that. That might've made a good exercise for 2009, when I swore myself purple I was just too busy and never started. I made a plan, going into NaNo 2010. 2010 would be different.

I began preparing well in advance. It might've been June, D-Day, Do Day. I would be ready. The Stupid'busy day job stopped me finishing the outline in time for the November 1 start, but I didn't want that to stop me even trying. I tend to complain...probably past the point of it being useful, in private...and make excuses. I've about had enough of my own excuses. Looking back on last Monday, when all this started, there was no good excuse for not starting. Knew my characters: each one's story within the big story. I knew the big story: Beginning, Mid-stuff, and Wow'ser Ending, all logical, and outlined enough. The hard work was done. Mostly, I'm only telling the story now. Heeding the advice of Protag pathfinders, and NaNo navigators gone before, to keep out of my own way.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yah, i made an attempt last year, and didn't bother try this time around. who knew that 4th year uni involved so much work in November? hahah. g'luck!

nickb said...

Hey BT - are you posting any of your NaNo entry on Protagonize? If you are, make sure to tag it with NaNoWriMo or you won't have a chance at the daily features. :)

Good luck!
-nick

Burndtree said...

Your 4th year Uni simply has to have priority over 30 Days n'Nights of spine-chilling writin' for our lives...
Hang on. That'd make a great movie...Harh :)

Thanks for the G'Luck, Jack.
Prob'ly haven't a hope of hitting 50k.
But I'll have more done than if I'd never tried.

Burndtree said...

Nick! Howdy.

I do daily visit Protag, if only as a ghost. I'll remember the posting tag.

You know there is only one place where my NaNo attempt could appear. Naturally, that place can only be Protag. The place with all them inspiring folks. But, currently it's not fit to be seen.