Saturday, November 19, 2011

Prelude



I'm moving. My neighbourhood Real Canadian Superstore. I'm moving in, I've decided.

Superstore's got everything I might conceivably want in a home. Home furnishings, for instance. Bedding, comfy pillows. And pillow cases. Even lawn furniture. Yes, lawn furniture. For the bright someday lawn perhaps not abused by nocturnal dog-walkers as a pet toilet.

I digress. Reality intruded there. Reality, inconsiderate humans, and slave-jobbin' in a world-class city shall this crisp bright Saturday gain no more mental ground for sprouting their strangling weedlings.

Where was I? Moving into the Superstore. I'm packing, just as soon as this is tapped out.

I know where I'll be dining tonight. The Superstore! Food? Oh sure they have food. Fresh greens. Other colours, too. And exotics, from places around the world I've only dreamed of visiting. You want canned, packaged, frozen? Superstore's got 'em, sure. You want your dinner...alive, before you dispatch it, dish it, dine upon it? There's the aquarium. Well, okay, a Seafood Section. Tilapia and rainbow trout in tanks, headed into the current off the aerator and all going nowhere. Crustaceans and crabs, flexing their rubber-banded claws. And shellfish from the intertidal zone. It's as educational as the Vancouver Aquarium, really. Every show's no charge admission. I'm so glad tourists haven't heard about it.

Hey, but save room for dessert. Possibly the best part of any dining experience, the dessert. Cummon, admit it. Cake, cookies, confections, Superstore's sure to please any sweet tooth. I might sit down...no, lounge...I might lounge tonight, after whatever dinner's gonna be, and treat myself to four litres of Neapolitan ice cream. And a wafer cone.

Changed my mind. Popcorn, from aisle 20. Ginger ale from 3. They're currently looping Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 on the big screen in the Electronics department at Superstore. I will definitely roll the lounger over.

Now, to packing. Maybe also a little hammering away at the NaNo fantasy before I head over. I'm in the mood now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Superstore would be a nice place to live. get friendly enough with some of the bakers and maybe you can convince one to lend you the oven for a bit, make a frozen pizza unfroze. mmmm. sounds perfectly fine to me!

Burndtree said...

Deli section does have ready-to-bake pizzas. I bet I could charm my way into one of those shiny steel ovens. Maybe do a 2-fer-1. Treat the bake crew to one pizza. Head on back with the other, sizzling, spicy, and munch away, while Harry Potter zaps it out against that Mister Fiennes from The English Patient ;D