Sunday, November 20, 2011

LANA DEL REY-VIDEO GAMES



The two obvious side-benefits of saying no to cable tv have been the money saved, and the time gained I might've lost forever to waiting for something good to come on. Just what's Good, of course, is subjective. The greatest benefit has been my return to the radio for more than the mundane, and the weather. Weather always trumps the mundane, I say. But enough about the weather, for now. Let's talk about music immersion the radio has also always been about, from the longago crystal set to the tech-toy marvels of this I-generation.

Actually...no, music immersion is probably too big a subject for tackling this moment, past two in the morning. Let's just say I've been listening all around the radio dial, and to a lot of music. As in to all the world'ful of music. Including my eclectic collection of CDs. I've been, metaphorically speaking here, in a comfy bath of music up to the ears. And happy as a clam, to mishmash the image further.

I Revisitor popped into existence as a result of a fusion of single meaningful scene meets mind-mapping during an afternoon of perhaps a little too much Bob Marley. The story's on current hold. I have it all plotted. It'll be great, when I can do it right. But I don't like the first-person present-tense POV. It needs re-thinking. That's going to have to wait. NaNoWriMo has priority. That is the NaNo project has whatever time remains available that I don't have to put in with the day-early-eve-job. And the job's going to stay busy through New Year's.

All that aside now. A particularly lovely song floated through me in my metaphorical bath last week, again tonight, during a UK Hits show on local radio in Vancouver. I caught the artist's name tonight. Lana Del Rey. Her voice lifted me one whole inch higher in my aforementioned bath. I haven't digested Video Games enough to explain the song's meaning. I only know I like it. And will be listening for more from Lana Del Rey.

2 comments:

Cathryn Leigh said...

Hope that NaNovel is going well for you. I don't think I listen to nearly enough music. then again when I listen I either want to dance, or listen hard enough to sing along. And even if I'm not physically dancing my eye close and I'm preforming in my head. one reason I rarely write to music. I must be one of the odd balls of the world.

:} Elorithryn

Burndtree said...

Thanks, Elo. The NaNoNovel didn't hit 50K. I didn't finish the draft. Still, I have enough to go on working with now. That's why I do the NaNo anyway.

I see you passed your 50K. Congrats!

---

I like music around me. Music puts me in the mood to write. But then I'll either turn it down, or off, when I actually start writing.
If the music's good, I'll just end up listening to it, after all.