Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Blogger Comments Not Working…Hmmm?

Something broke in Blogger’s comments display over the weekend just past. I experimented some. Discovered, unhappily, the embedded comments thingy only broken in any of the blogs I follow which are in the oldtimer or classic templates. Embedded comments displayed just fine in the newer blog templates.

Great...

I wasn’t about to go fiddle with my blog’s design template, not in the middle of the night. Certainly not during a rushed few minutes available time from work, either. So, Googled about. To see if I’m all alone in my woe. Nope, I had company. Other folks have likewise seen embedded comments not displaying. One, just this past weekend too. Gee. D’ya think some Admin-type changed something in Blogger...?

Okay. There is a workaround. Eventually, it'll all be working anyway.

Some helpful soul out there...I’ve lost the link...suggested going in to the blogger dashboard, to SETTINGS, to adjust how comments display on the blog.

Here's the path:
Blogger Dashboard > Settings > Comments > Comment Form Placement > Select Full Page, or Pop-Up Window, or Embedded Below Post > Save Settings [Go to Page Bottom].

Long story short, it worked. Instead of embedded comments beneath my posts, I might’ve opted for full page display of comments. I’ve decided on comments appearing in a pop-up box alongside my blog post. I figure if ever the comments pop-up malfunctions, the visitor at least will be able to red-x that pop-up, and still have a readable post page that works, and scrolls, and isn’t a frozen frustration.

6 comments:

Burndtree said...

And...it works :)

Unknown said...

testing, testing... 1 2 3... ground control to Major Tom, can you hear me, Major Tom?

Burndtree said...

Heeere am I floating 'round the internet...

---
Thanks for the test, Jack :D

Cathryn Leigh said...

It's sooo much easier for me to leave comments when I'm at work with the pop up box... I must have a newer template of blogger as I didn't have issue... once I figured out the setting. :}

And I'd try to continue quoting the song, but I can't remember the words nad I"m being lazy.

:} Cathryn

Burndtree said...

Your blogger template is one of those shiny new ones, Elo :)

I'm liking this pop-up comments box more n' more, myself.

---
Y'know, Elo, you could always launch into Mr Bowie's Ashes to Ashes instead - Heh ;D

Cathryn Leigh said...

If only I knew the names of songs, I might. :} However, speaking of Bowie...


You remind me of the babe! *giggles*