Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Out of the Blue

Haven't we all experienced this?

Thinking about some distant pal: suddenly distant pal phones, shows up, seemingly out of the blue. Okay -- even if looking for a loan.

Maybe we call this coincidence.

Or -- say it's one of those days -- crazily busy -- and we're hurtling through it -- cussing under our breath that we can't even catch our breath, let alone lunch -- but, at day's end, seeing the whole of the day that happened, see that only after done with Job1 did Job2 show up to be worked next. Likewise for Jobs 3 and 4. Like somewhere some unseen dispatcher was waving in each part of the day, but only exactly when I was ready for it. Only that at the time it hadn't felt like help -- all those coincidences.

Just last night, searching for longago scribbled notes perhaps for writing into something else -- some at the time interesting observations about myself while playing Fable Lost Chapters -- and having only the vaguest map in mind of where I stashed those notes, I started in on the likeliest: papers piled up three inches (which I had intended to organize sometime). After ten minutes of turning paper, glancing and skimming passages, I was ready to try the other approach: stuck in my fingers about three-quarters of the height and flipped the thing over.

Uhuh -- I kid you not! -- EXACTLY in my notes where the Fable stuff started.

Smiled. Made that little hmmph!, indicative of only mildest surprise, mixed with contentment. I've not been creeped out by this kind of happening for a long time.

Don't know where it comes from. Call it the Hand of God made manifest. Fate. Karma. Some cosmic alignment. Meaningful coincidence, or not. Maybe it is just brain wiring -- the map there all along inside that ninety percent of grey matter I don't have the key to -- and perhaps I just triggered the memory without knowing how, and so call it magical.

I won't presume to know. Perhaps it's best just to note its occurence in a little life and smile at the mystery of it -- so it doesn't turn off.

And say Thanks.

No comments: