Monday, January 14, 2008

Warning All Lab Rats!


Just spotted online another Invitation to Participate in a university psych-department survey: studying motivations, et cetera, among video gamers.

Hmm. Looking for willing test subjects.

I dunno - sometimes the gamer in me is more than willing to play - but it’s Sunday night, gotta go t’work Monday, don’t wanna run a maze, and don’t need my brain fractionated!

Sorry.

Remembered I’d participated a couple years back in one such study - and just found my dusty journal entry - which explains all I’m thinking on the subject, and without cussing:

So...USC Annenberg's database is in top form. Filled out a long survey last month, conscientiously, because I think video games culture could do with some researching.
I may play violent games, occasionally, but I know what's real and not, and Right from Wrong. Figured I should give them some data from this old man.


I had to base my answers on a game of my choosing and I chose Fable Lost Chapters. If any game can play with the gamer's head about Right and Wrong and Choices, it's Fable (I never played Black and White).

At the finish of that long survey, I generated my keycode -and it was confirmed by them - for Part Two of the survey that they invited me back in two weeks to complete. Draw prize, too: sixty bucks, US, at Amazondotcom (prob'ly wanting to make sure the winning obsessed gamers buy a good healthful book).

So. Today, I'm back.

My keycode could not be retrieved from their database.

Of course, this could be part of their research, the second part of the experiment: Say there's an error and log how persistent the survey participant plays it, how many attempts, how many different combinations of the keycode the gamer may try; they can, when all is said and done, log the instances of the erroneous keycode.

Well, then, I just had to play along...for a while. Tried a few variants. All CAPS. Some CAPS.

But, smart lab rat me, seeing as I'd be getting no reward, no emotional gratification, as one of those USC lab coats may put it - no cheese - I turned tail and left. Couldn't even leave a turd on the floor of their maze!

Ehh...Friday, yet, May 19, that's right, and still '06.

No comments: