Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Anything Other than 2010 Olympics Rings

No'no'no'no, and no. Not a photo snapped of anything 2010 Olympics related. Not here. Never.

YVR...or whoever...don't know...don't care who...they've planted those trademarked linked rings, enormous and gaudy, on a rise of artificial landscaping. A Welcome for world travelers headed from the airport toward Vancouver and Richmond. An assembly looking like a kid's erector set and standing stable as a dream in the stiff sea breeze.

I'd passed that construction obstruction for a couple weeks. Ignored it. I took it for yet more tree planting and landscaping about Vancouver Airport. Yet more of the Airport Improvement Fees travelers pay headed that way...rather than for, say, doing anything that should encourage the commuting cyclist into believing all the feel'good media releases.

Work done tonight, I pedaled my bike west along Miller Road, dismounted, crossed Grant McConachie Way as a pedestrian...because a cyclist can't activate a green light for crossing...and remounted the bike on the North Service Road...another designated bike route. Oh'yes — amazed me no little — I was passed by nine yellow YVR service vehicles, more or less a convoy, all nine zipping past in the intersection I had to walk, pick-up trucks and vans, only the driver in each. And then I saw those...rings. Laughed, if anyone should call puffing laughter, remembering a bike path, cut dirt lying four months before finally being paved, and this...assembly bolted up and garish illumination working in two weeks!

One...not good, just satisfactory thing: north and east of the worst of the airport's traffic, at the four-way stop on Templeton, two of four airport-bound taxis in fact stopped. The other two probably would've stopped if I'd completely lost my cyclist nerve and instead were driving my forty-five hundred pounds of Chevrolet pick-up truck.

Yes, quite probably.

So. Sooo. Seabirds, yesss. Cormorants waiting on the falling tide. Summer days like balm.

No comments: