Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour...March 28 '09...Vancouver, Canada

I've rewritten this three times already and three times is enough. My cynicism refusing to behave behind the smiley face mask and on the venomous side. Not to belittle the Do Good spirit behind Earth Hour, which from an educational looking-at should make a good start, but frankly I have been around long enough. Also, I've been doing my part long enough. I've earned the right to be cynical. And to sneer at what really should be sneered at.

At the very least to shake my head about. To wonder What on earth were they thinking?

CBC ran this story tonight. Vancouver's Four Seasons Hotel doing its part in reducing unnecessary electricity consumption. Restaurant lights off between 5pm and 10. Instead, guests dining by candlelight. 1500 candles, apparently.

Fifteen-hundred, burning, smoking, CO2-dumping, climate-changing candles!

That measurably better, is it? Better than drawing pennies-per-kilowatthour off one of our hydro-electric dams, then lighting-up...say...just half the lights they usually would?

Can't wait for Earth Day.

No comments: