Friday, July 17, 2009

'Mage Hunting' Delay: Understanding Why

It seemed odd that it should take longer and longer for me to add a chapter to Bolsheviki’s Mage Hunting over on Protagonize, when my turn, as it were. I think I see now why. It’s become a big story – 79 chapters big, so far – and my own pre-writing routine has simply slowed me down.

When it’s my turn to add a chapter, usually I’ll read over previous chapters, so I can keep straight plot points, character details, time of day, or night, POV, chapter tone, whatever…

In early days of writing Mage Hunting, we could write new chapters overnight, often quicker. The story was just being formed. Characters coming into being. It was plain easy to add to, because we could go anywhere, within the small map of story already written. Even beginning to see beyond the known edges of the world.

Mage Hunting has just become bigger, is all. There’s simply more that I have to re-read in my pre-writing. And I don’t feel I should fiddle with the pre-writing routine, not too much. Unless I can come up with some shortcut. Keeping the story true to itself matters most.

I have, tho, said my sorry re my delay to Bolsheviki.

No comments: