Thursday, May 7, 2009

Canada Line Rant - Number Whatever

Figuring I'd do my bit...as a conscientious citizen...I signed-up, ages ago, to allow Vancouver's regional transit folks periodically to survey me. Today, they wanted to know my views re their expensive toy train. But only if I'd ridden it recently. I hadn't, tho still want my opinion heard. So I left my opinion in the handy comments box provided. Now, because I actually do want to be heard, I copied my comments; and I'll post them here.
They requested survey participants be as specific as possible. I am grinning.

---

Unfortunately...the Canada Line runs along Cambie. I live in Marpole, over by Granville and Marine, and work at the airport. Just across that two-zone line in the river. Currently, the 100 bus makes the most sense for me: pick-up and drop-off around the corner on Hudson.

Now, I'd be willing to ride the 100 east each morning - yes, the wrong way - to catch a train to work, and not feel harried, thanks to trains running only a few minutes apart, but for the cost of crossing that two-zone line Translink has drawn in the river.

I've always believed 'transit' should be the preferred way for commuting about a city. However, I cannot justify paying the two-zone fare for covering that short distance: running my pick-up truck costs less.

I recall I'm not the only interested citizen suggesting fare reductions, zones re-structuring, rates-per-mile and such(even if that necessitates hiring conductors, and cuts into the turnstiles budget), so I will stop here.

Thanks!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When TransLink starts using smart cards I think the zone situation will be a lot better. TransLink has some public consultations and open houses coming up you should check out. Here's the link: http://www.bepartoftheplan.ca/upcoming-consultations/

Burndtree said...

Thanks, Mellenger.

Burndtree said...

Here's a question, Mellenger...because you might have more insight into the thinking of the machine that is Translink.

The Day Afterrr...Canada Line carried 80,000 non-commuters, like an amusement park ride.
Explain how YVR Add-Fare benefits me, the other Me's of Marpole, and Richmond, too. Wasn't a big part of the griping about 'Zones', and 'Fares'?

So, soon to come - another zone, in effect - along with the 'added fare'. Any insights?

And...darn it!...Blogger still says we cannot view your profile.