Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Perspective

WOO’HOO! Happy Winter Solstice!

Well, it will be at 9:30 tonight, Vancouver time. Paper lanterns are glowing even now, downtown, within the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden.

I feel like, I dunno, rolling a wheel on fire down a hillside, or something similarly festive.
I’d probably be arrested, though. For being pagan without a permit, perhaps.

No. I’ll remain properly urbanized, unimaginative, unmoved.
Earth may be tilted just so tonight. But I shall sit up straight, behave. I am just finishing off work. Perhaps I’ll flick on an extra light or two, in marking this especially long night, and the sun’s return.
Tomorrow will be 1 second longer. I can imagine summer already!

Right right right. Some folks on our big blue world don’t have to imagine summer. I’m referring to folks some folks might say see things upside down, of course. Really, though, it's a matter of perspective.

Hang on a sec while I Google them…

WOO and HOO, again!
I’d just like to wish folks in currently drizzly and tropical Fiji a very Happy Summer Solstice. Yeah. Wish I was there, too.

Not that I’m stuck here…

4 comments:

Cathryn Leigh said...

Awe, I'm not that bad of company am I? Well what ever as Urbanized as we are I raise a glass and toast a happy Winter Solstice to you! Cheers!

And can you figure out which band member has braces? At least I swear in his singing close up I think he does... at least it reminds me of my expression when singing with braces...

Okay enough randomness, time to finish this glass of wine and go to bed.

Want any Gingerbread cookies?

:} Elorithryn

Burndtree said...

You’re only ever the bestest company, Elo - Cheers!

Nope, I was just sayin’ “I ain’t stuck at work”, not last night. And tryin’ to wittily intro Caro Emerald’s ‘Stuck’.

She’s a Dutch gal. The clip’s from Dutch tv. I’ll listen on Saturday nights to radio top-40 hits and maybe-hits from the UK. Caro Emerald is trending up the charts in Europe.

I just Googled the band. The guitarman in braces...Wieger Hoogendorp.
He reminds me of Buddy Holly. I’ve heard he’s got stage presence, whoops it up.

MMM’YUMM gingerbread...Thankies :)

Unknown said...

since coming back to Canada i've played the "one week game" everyday. how does one play this game? i'll demonstrate: one week ago today i had just arrived back in Singapore from a trip to the Philippines, Cambodia, and Malaysia. it's a rather depressing game to play sometimes, but still quite amazing.

Burndtree said...

In later years, those memories will re-transport you, Jack :)
It'll feel as if you're in those amazing places again. Spicy aromas of the markets. Rain pattering over tropical gigantic leaves. Swimming in seas warm as a bath.
Then you'll snap back to reality.
Glorious holiday snap you're viewing on your monitor. In your cubicle.