Saturday, December 17, 2011

O' If I had an Extra Kidney



Among current writing projects I'm hoping to return to, now the weekend's here at last, Saturday groceries gotten, and Christmas gift-hunting done, but for the bills to come, there's Revisitor. A spacey tale. Only the central character doesn't know it at first. It's being re-worked.

Awesome and inspiring spacey photos, such as those from HubbleSite, transport me to a place perfect for pre-writing sci-fi of the spacey kind. I've already saved to the story-inspiring screensaver one spectacular pic released by HubbleSite this week, of nebula Sharpless 2-106, I saw first as a thrilling little video modeling the nebula in 3-D. Shrouded in red glowing dust and gas, and afire inside, it really resembles a nest of stars. Here, stars are born.

Actually, there's one central fierce star firing up the heart of this blue beauty. Also, hundreds of brown dwarf stars, too small to turn on and shine, and surely other stellar curiosities I'd gladly take a long break from the job to go see.

I'd pack extra lunches, of course. And the Thermos. Set the email auto-reply at work...Will be away for a couple thousand light years. And head out immediately.

Only the ship's in the shop, awaiting a drive doohickey, from outta town, as Fred my mechanic put it via telepathy. Ship would also need better shields anyway. Shields aren't cheap, everybody knows that. I'd have to sell another kidney. Left one hasn't grown back yet. So, that's that. I should probably just get a new ship.

3 comments:

Cathryn Leigh said...

Ahh.. on the home computer. I should be able to comment this time, so you know I'm reading *grin*

Rachael say's she'd give you a ride. Take her about, oh a couple thousand days at Super 1, less if she punches it. sadly like you're ship in need of repair I have issues. The first being that I haven't found anyone who can extract Rachael from my head. the second being that I haven't found anyone who can turn my lovely space worthy Frisbee into a real space ship complete with super drive.

:] Cathryn (aka Elorithryn)

Burndtree said...

I may just take up Rachael's offer on that ride...out there. Maybe she can just stay in your head, Elo. Who says a physical ship is even really necessary, when we've got our imaginations which might transport us anywhere? I have a formula: Imagination + Y-Star Chart + X = Instant Teleport to Destination Y. I only have to figure out X, though...

Fred can make just about anything space-worthy. He, or maybe he's a she, has eight arms, y'know. So Fred's more than handy, and fast. Last week, Fred put a Toyota Tercel in high geo-synchronous orbit, for bouncing a pay-tv signal off it. He happens also to be into radio-controlled toys. He regularly wears out dogs in the park, sending them chasing after his yellow RC frisbee. Fred could ready your space Frisbee. But bringing in the parts, from 'outta town', that's gonna take years...and years.

Thanks for reading, Elo :)

Cathryn Leigh said...

Oh now don't you get Rachael started. I bet she and Fred could go one for days talking about space worthy vehicles. She'd likely take on the challenge flying what ever he could come up with. it's the flying she loves. Picking out the paths through the stars and high tailing it through contested areas like a good old adrenal junkie watch out though, she got a bit of an erm... Nymph side of things.

I've got the star chart. :}

(and your welcome. just happy to comment now and again cause I know how good that feels)